When traveling, having a car will give you a lot of freedom when traveling through beautiful Europe. You will be able to travel at your own pace, stop often in order to visit or take a look at something and get to some places that are usually difficult to reach when taking the public transportation.
However, there are a few things you should know before renting a car in Europe, and knowing these things might help you save some money and some time. Here is a lost of things to know:
Choosing the right company
Some of the biggest rental car companies are Avis, Hertz, Budget, Europcar, and Sixt. You should always reserve a car in advance, and during the planning of the trip, you should also check the different rates of some major companies in order to choose the one that has the best price. It is actually quite easy to find a car rental company. Let’s say that you are, for example, in Bucharest. All you will have to do is type in “rent a car in Bucharest” into your browser, and you will get a lot of search results to choose from.
Factors that affect the rental price
There are various factors that will determine the final price of the vehicle, such as the rental duration and the size of the car. But, there might be some factors that you are not aware of, and they are:
1. Manual or automatic cars – keep in mind that manual cars are more common in Europe than an automatic one. You will be able to rent an automatic car, but the often cost 50% more than a manual one.
2. Different pick-up and drop-off locations – sometimes, it makes perfect sense to pick-up a car at one location and drop it off at another. For example, if you are driving through Serbia, you may pick-up the car in the capital city Belgrade, take a nice long road trip to Novi Sad, and drop off the car in Subotica. Dropping off the car at a different location might save you a lot of time and unnecessary returning. However, keep in mind that the drop off fee might cost you some money. Always decide on the amount of money you will want to spend.
3. Make sure that you have an International drivers permit – when you pick up your car, you will be asked to provide some documents, like the confirmation number, passport, credit card, and of course, your driver’s license. They might also ask you to provide an International Drivers Permit (IDP). An IDP will translate your driver’s license into 10 different languages, and it will contain your name, photographs, and driver information. You can get an IDP for 20 dollars.
Now that you have learned some information about renting a car in Europe, you might ask yourself, what are the best cars to rent over there? Here is a list:
1. Skoda Rapid (or cars similar to it) – this car is perfect for people who will drive around a lot and need to move quickly and safely around cities. It has a small TSI engine, which means that it will not consume a lot of gasoline.
2. Renault Clio – this car is safe and it performs well on short and long rides. It consumes between 5-6% for about 100 kilometers.
3. Dacia Lodgy – this particular car is perfect if you are traveling in a group. It has seven seats, which means that it would be perfect for renting if you are traveling with your family members or friends. It is spacious, economic, and often has a good rental price.
4. Dacia Logan II – for people who are looking for a good, but a cheaper car, this might be perfect. With its new design, a big trunk, and comfortable interior, you can rest assured that this car will provide you with everything you need. This is one of the most wanted cars for rent.
Visiting Europe can be an unforgettable experience, and it will be even better if you rent a car. It will provide a stress-free environment, and you will be able to go to, stop at, and visit any place that you want.