NFL is still a league in which the salary cap plays a big role. Just like in the NBA, teams need to have a certain amount of money to pay all of their players. The best men are the most expensive ones usually, while the young guys on rookie contracts are always valuable as they don’t take too much of the cap room but certainly can help out the squad. Here are Cowboys who take the most cap space.
5) Tyron Smith, Left Tackle (Cap hit: 8,820,000$) – Dallas has the best offensive line in the game. They have used a lot of high-round picks on offensive lineman and it is paying off. The only one that is not on his rookie deal is Smith who’s salary takes a lot of cap space.
4) Tyrone Crawford, Defensive Tackle (Cap hit: 10,350,000$) – Crawford is the only defensive player to make it into the top five most expensive players that this team has and one of the four players that take more than 10M dollars out of the cap space.
3) Jason Witten, Tight End (Cap Hit: 12,262,000$) – Legendary Cowboys tight end has just signed an extension, and there is no doubt that he is going to retire as the member of the Dallas Cowboys. 12M cap hit is what Jones has no problem taking in order to keep Witten on the team.
2) Dez Bryant, Wide Receiver (Cap Hit: 17,000,000$) – When people were talking about trading Romo, they also mentioned Bryant in that conversation. Mostly because of this cap space that he takes and the fact that he is often injured. He was great in the Playoffs and proved why Dallas needs him.
1) Tony Romo, Quarterback (Cap Hit: 24,000,000$) – It’s enough for you to look at this number and realize why Dallas can’t have him on the team. You just can’t have a guy that is taking this much of your cap sitting on the bench watching your much cheaper starting quarterback option in Dak Prescott.