In the past few years, Dallas Cowboys didn’t spend much on expensive free agents. Instead, they focused on draft and bargain deals with more experienced players in free agency. But this year, Cowboys might take a slightly different approach. Maybe an expensive game changer is what they need to reach deeper into the postseason.
If you are an older Cowboys fan, you remember Jerry Jones’ dealings in the past when he spent a ton in free agency and often overpaid for players. But, in recent years front office shifted their focus on the draft and building their roster that way. Free agency is only used to fill the gaps with veteran players and small contracts.
The current Cowboys executives avoid free agents that have their best years ahead of them, Yes, a free agent with his best football still in him come with a hefty price tag. This is why squad avoided them past years, but maybe the time has come for main guys to change the approach to free agency.
The most recent deals that brought veteran free agents to Dallas didn’t pan out. Last year Cowboys decided to sign Nolan Carroll, Stephen Paea, Damontre Moore, and Robert Blanton. None of these players didn’t last past the mid-season.
The year before that, in 2016, America’s Team signed Cedric Thompson to a four-year, $18 million deal. He didn’t make it until the start of the season. Cowboys cut him in September.
With all of this said, the Cowboys did an awful job in the past three or four free agencies. Their receipt simply doesn’t give results. The Super Bowl cake isn’t cooked this way. Building roster only through daft won’t bring the results, well at least not in the next few years. Jerry Jones needs to open his checkbook and sign a premium free agent this year.
Dallas Cowboys have several holes on their roster and these need to be closed asap. Yes, some will be filled by draft prospects, some by veteran free agents, but some need to be closed with money and quality players.
Free agency starts in March and here are some of the top free agents who will be available to sign:
1. Allen Robinson, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars
2. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Seattle Seahawks
3. Ziggy Ansah, DE, Detroit Lions
4. Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins
5. Sammy Watkins, WR, Los Angeles Rams
6. Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S, Los Angeles Rams
7. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams
8. Andrew Norwell, G, Carolina Panthers
9. Malcolm Butler, CB, New England Patriots
10. Dontari Poe, DT, Atlanta Falcons
11. Justin Pugh, G, New York Giants
12. Nate Solder, T, New England Patriots
13. Star Lotulelei, DT, Carolina Panthers
14. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Washington Redskins
15. Morgan Burnett, S, Green Bay Packers