With the fast-paced lifestyle we are living, it is kind of hard to manage everything and have enough time for ourselves and our family. We are constantly put in stressful situations – whether it’s on our job, school, college, or relating certain family disputes. Still, it is crucial not to take anything seriously and realize that life is a journey with its ups and downs; and that after it rains the sun will shine. We shouldn’t bind ourselves to a certain situation and let our emotions take over. Depression and anxiety are one of the most common modern mental conditions, and both are caused mostly by stress and insecurity.
Now, while anxiety is a milder form, depression shouldn’t be taken as a medical condition without a solution either. And with a few lifestyle changes, depression is easily controlled and very soon escaped from. There are also certain antidepressants that could be of help, but we always recommend coping with depression by forming positive habits. Without further ado, let’s go ahead and take a look at the few tips on how to save yourself from depression!
Tips On Coping With Depression
1. As mentioned above the most important thing is to prevent certain stressful situations affecting you in the long term and realize that everything, good or bad, will be healed during the course of time and that you are the one that has the power to change. With this in mind, you should surround yourself with positive like minded people who will be there to support you and with whom you will be able to share your feelings, thoughts, and problems.
2. Start leading a journal and writing down your experiences. If you start writing down the positive things that happened and made you happy, and analyzing anything that made you stressed you will be able to realize the relativity of it all and that there is no reason to stress over things that will pass. On the contrary, accept them as they are and try to learn something from that situation – who knows what you can make out of it!
3. Start exercising. By exercising 3-4 times a week, you will be doing yourself a great favor. Exercise cleans your body and mind, and after each session, you will feel rejuvenated and happy due to two specific reasons. First and foremost you know that you are doing something good for yourself and your overall health, and on the other hand, certain hormones like serotonin and endorphins are realized during and shortly after your training session. Workout in the environment that suits you whether it is a gym, yoga class, or running around your neighborhood. Along with exercise, you should strive to eat a balanced and nutritious diet including whole grains, vegetables and fruits, fish, eggs, legumes and nuts, and certain types of meat. Cut down on refined sugar and trans fat products.
4. Sleep more. The benefits of a healthy sleeping routine which includes 7-8 hours a night are immense. Your daily routine will be much easier to handle, and you will not have swift mood changes that are usually caused by a lack of sleep.
5. Last but not least in some cases you can antidepressants to control your situation. Of course, don’t take this without consulting a psychiatrist who will temporarily prescribe you the same. One of the most effective ones seems to be Trintellix – an atypical antidepressant. Similar to other antidepressant medication, it does prevent reabsorption of serotonin in the brain and those keep those chemicals in balance; but on the other hand it apparently blocks serotonin receptors as well (to which the serotonin binds), and that is the reason why it might be even more effective than some of the more common antidepressants that have been around for decades.
While depression is a common issue it is not something that should be considered as unsolvable – on the contrary, by surrounding yourself with positive like minded people, and implementing few healthy habits, depression will be gone before you even know it!