In simple terms, a cloud app is nothing but an application that works on cloud-based platforms when hosted through the internet or offline. Cloud applications are gaining a lot of popularity and are changing the way businesses, and individuals use technology in recent years. Confused? Let us simplify the concept further.
First, let us understand what an app is. An app is a program which generally runs on a device. Now, what is a cloud? It is nothing but a type of digital storehouse of data. Putting it all together, a cloud app is a program that runs on a web server or remote server instead of a physical device.
What is cloud app development?
Cloud app development is the process of building applications, systems or programs using a cloud-based framework. Yes! It is the process involved in developing and maintaining applications on the cloud. With the popularity and proliferation of the cloud system, this concept of development is being explored. Specifically, this means that software apps are made on the cloud.
What is the need for cloud application development?
As we live in an environment where there is rapid development in technology, more and more companies in the world are looking out for less complex and easy to use applications. Businesses want these apps to have easy access from anywhere and on any device, be it a mobile, tablet or a laptop. This is where cloud-based apps come into the picture. They offer all of the above benefits, thus, making it a perfect solution in today’s times.
Benefits of cloud app development
- Caters to a wide range of business needs: With the changing nature of business from local to global and advancement in technological factors, needs are changing. Cloud applications cater to these ever-changing business needs by providing agile services. Cloud apps can be tested, built, updated and installed at a comparatively faster pace.
- Simple and user-friendly: When it comes to these type of applications, the complexity is lesser. It is also easier to manage information systems and infrastructure because these services can be outsourced much more easily.
- Economical: Apart from other factors, one of the main reasons why this is great is because of the economies of scale that it offers. There is no need to build and maintain a big data storehouse or other large-scale Information Technology Management Systems. Therefore, this offers businesses and individuals the advantage of cost management without compromising on quality.
- Scalable and API friendly: Cloud-based programs are scalable immediately and even as the demand increases, capacities can be adjusted as per needs. Apart from this, Application Programming Interface (API) services can also be used.
- Secure interface: One of the other advantages of this type of system is that it offers enhanced security. Due to the large scale of operation, providers of these type of app services will be able to employ world-class experts for enhanced safety.
How do they function?
Cloud applications may function on remote servers, through which data processing takes places. All the functions are performed with the help of a well-connected web browser.
These cloud-based applications are positioned in a data center that is run by third-parties. There is also a back-end team that takes care of security, amalgamation, etc.
One of the other advantages that cloud applications offer is the saving of storage space. Essentially, cloud applications do not take up storage space on the device that they are being used.
Difference between cloud applications and web applications
With developments in computing technologies in recent years, there is a sense of confusion between cloud applications and web applications. However, there is a difference between the two. Let us take a look at them one by one:
- Architecture: Any web application works only if there is an internet connection continuously. On the other hand, any cloud-based application runs on the device and performs tasks on the computer or workstation and internet connectivity is mainly used for downloading or uploading information or data stacks. So, essentially, you cannot use a web app without the internet.
- Brower based: Unlike cloud apps, web-based apps can be used only through a web browser. An example of this is the most commonly used platform Gmail. On the other hand, many cloud applications are available for use offline if they have been configured in such a manner. Therefore, essentially a cloud app can be opened without a web browser.
From this one can understand that many cloud apps are also used as web apps. However, not all cloud apps can be used as web apps.
How to build a good cloud app?
Anyone with prior experience with any type of application development will understand what exactly goes into it. Any app has to be specifically designed for the platform it works on.
- Design as a collection: Probably one of the best ways to design a cloud application is adopting the collection-based strategy. This is because these types of applications perform the best when designed in this manner.
- Decouple data: The other thing to keep in mind is to split the data and make sure it is not coupled up in a tight manner. Cloud apps function the best in such a manner.
- Optimize communication: It is also very vital to make sure that the app is architecture in such a manner that all application components are streamlined for optimal communication. This can be done by amalgamating the communication frameworks in a single group.
In the course of recent years, the cloud application industry has grown immensely and experts say that it will only grow further in the future. Many big wigs in the industry and technology giants have already adapted to this system of computing.
Thus, this evolving technology is changing the business environment at quite a rapid pace. Along with offering a number of exciting opportunities for app developers, it has revolutionized the technology industry in many many ways. This is because of the number of advantages that are offered by cloud when compared to the other systems.