An engagement ring is an investment for couples that shows their devotion and love for one another. The tradition of an engagement ring can be traced as far back as the ancient Egyptians when couples would wear rings made out of reeds that were worn on the left-hand ring finger which was believed to have a vein that ran directly to one’s’ heart. Today, the tradition of an engagement ring still continues and replaced braided reeds for sparkling diamonds. However, unlike the ancient Egyptians, modern couples now have many more ways to shop for rings and a variety of options to consider. Buying an engagement ring online can come with many pros and cons. Couples shopping online for a ring should consider a few things:
- Stick to a budget – The general rule is to spend at least two months income on a ring. But, if you know that saving two months or more of your income is not realistic for your lifestyle, consider compromising on a more inexpensive ring. There are many beautiful options for engagement rings at an affordable price, especially if you shop online. On average you can save up to 40% than if you were to shop at a brick-and-mortar jewelry store.
- Choose a style – To sift through the overwhelming amount of rings online, figure out what kind of style you are shopping for before you even begin. Sticking to one style can help you narrow down your choices and also help you stick to your budget. Different styles of diamonds have different prices as well so knowing the style of cut you would like can help you know what it within your budget. Different metals can also have an effect on your budget so keep that in mind as well. Depending on your preferences you might want to consider different designs of rings. If you and your partner are sporty types, you might want to look for something in that direction. On the other hand, if you love two-wheelers, the silver cross ring might be ideal for you. For those that are devoted to their careers, something elegant is needed.
- Use reputable sites – Buying anything online comes with a bit of risk. Although shopping online for an engagement ring can save you money on your dream ring, you should take caution with where you buy your ring. There are many jewelry websites that offer cheap rings that look like top quality, but there are horror stories out there of couples receiving rings that do not meet their expectations. Find reviews from customers on independent sites and also find sites that seem to have been in business for several years.
- Know the site’s return policy– An important part of shopping online for investment pieces such as an engagement ring is not just knowing a site’s reputation, but also knowing their return policies. Make sure to look for sites that offer flexible return policies for the ring and make sure to read it thoroughly. Some online shops have a limited time period for you to make a return. Most online stores will not allow returns for customized or engraved pieces so keep that in mind if you plan on engraving the ring.
- Get knowledgeable about diamonds – Educating yourself on diamonds can help you find the perfect ring on a budget without compromising quality. Consider the “four Cs”: cut, color, clarity, and carat. The four Cs are important to know while shopping online so that you are able to read the description of the ring thoroughly. Knowing what to look for when it comes to the quality of a diamond can help you find a brilliant diamond at a reasonable price.
- Have your ring appraised– If you spent some serious money on a ring online, you will want to take your ring to an independent jewelry right away with any paperwork you have about your ring. They can appraise your ring to make sure you got exactly what you were expecting. This can be also helpful if you plan on insuring your ring.
- Consider purchasing a loose diamond – If you have been shopping for a ring for a while cannot just seem to find “the one”, consider buying a loose diamond online instead. Loose diamonds can often be cheaper online and you can take the stones to a jeweler to create a unique, custom piece. You will have to pay for the jeweler’s labor, but often this is still cheaper than buying a ready-made ring from a shop. This way you can purchase your dream ring but still stick to your budget.
Purchasing an engagement ring is a big investment for a couple. However, with a little knowledge and savvy shopping, you can find the perfect ring without burning your budget. Shopping online can be a great way to find exactly what you are looking inexpensively.