When the Patriots took Jacoby Brissett in the third round of this year’s NFL Draft, nobody really thought that this kid was going to come close to actually seeing some playing time in the regular season. Just three weeks into the 2016 campaign and this man led New England to their 3rd win. Here are a couple of interesting facts about Brissett and his first NFL start.
1. He was the first African-American to start at the QB position for New England Patriots. The only other franchise that didn’t have a black man signal caller before this Week 3 of 2016 NFL season are the New York Giants.
2. Only two other Quarterbacks have been the starters in Tom Brady era in New England. Matt Cassell and Jimmy Garoppolo. Brissett was only the third player to make a start.
3. His 27-yard touchdown in the first quarter was the longest TD run by Patriots QB since 1993.
4. Brissett made some really nice throws, threw some darts to Julian Edelman and Malcolm Mitchell. Looked pretty decent even though he had only a couple of days to prepare for this game. Strong arm, good legs, the kid for sure passed the eye test.
5. He is the third rookie to make the start at Quarterback this season. The other two besides Brissett are Trevor Siemain and Dak Prescott. But, it’s interesting that Patriots’ signal caller was drafted before both of his fellow rookie QB starters.